January 22, 2014

Behind-The-Scenes | Southern Charred

"Ol' Smokey Bastard"

























I came up with this concept while reading the press release for Southern Charred back in November. I've wanted to photograph smoke for some time now and this was a perfect opportunity. I knew this would be a composite shot and I would need the following:
  • Surface shot
  • Left & right edge shot
  • Label and cork shot
  • Smoke shots

Table Setup:

The shooting table was made up of a couple of sawhorses and some weathered boards. I lined the sawhorses with black Cinefoil...a flue of sorts to contain the smoke. 


I taped a couple of incense sticks to a small mic stand and placed it between the sawhorses.


I taped underneath the boards except for a small gap which allowed the smoke to rise through the crack.


Lighting Setup:

A studio strobe with 20 degree grid was placed behind the table and low to the surface in an effort to reveal some texture. Note: overhead light in these setup shots was not used in the final image, just there to show you the setup.


Result of the surface light.



I used a 10" x 36" stripbox for edge lighting.


Result of the right edge.



I moved the stripbox to the left.


Result of the left edge.



To light the label and cork I used an overhead light with 10 degree grid.



Result of overhead lighting.



To capture the smoke I placed a strobe with 10 degree grid inline with the bottle. I lit the incense and waited for the smoke to rise through the crack. I triggered the camera with a wired remote and captured an insane amount of images. From time to time I would fan the smoke to manipulate the pattern.


I selected these four shots to include in the final image.



I assembled these individual shots in Photoshop by using layers, masks and blending modes. I used Google Nik Collection plugin to dodge and burn, add contrast and bring out some of the texture in the surface.

Voila...the final image.








1 comment:

  1. Great simple solution to guide the smoke by taping the bottom of the boards. So many times on a shoot it is those simple solutions that is hard to think of.

    ReplyDelete